Friday, March 25, 2011

Preparation...

...somebody has been going through my whole blog.  (Internet Explorer, dude/dudette?  Really?  Okay, it's not as bad as it once was, and is now a respectable browser, but Chrome is -fast-.)

Which prompted me to see what the fuss was about.

Where I happened upon one of my old posts: http://orphanwilde.blogspot.com/2010/11/on-paranoia.html

"Preparation is the vaccination for violence.  If everyone operated like this, nobody would need to."

This is a case where my own statement has startled me.  I made this incredibly good point with this incredible implication and didn't even notice at the time, blithely going on to talk about other shit.

If it is moral to force somebody to get vaccinations, it is moral to force them to take self-defense classes, to learn to shoot, to be ready to kill in defense of themselves.  If we have a moral obligation to get vaccinations, we have a similar moral obligation to be prepared to defend ourselves and our property.

There is a critical threshold, with vaccinations or with self-defense, at which prevalence of the practice completely prevents disease, or violent crime/robbery, from being sustainable within a society.

I don't believe in obligations, legal or moral, to get vaccinated; I similarly don't believe in obligations to practice self defense.

But there are people who do, for one, but almost universally not the other.  (Sadly there are people on both sides of the fence on this issue.  I've met people who oppose vaccinations but believe self defense training should be mandatory.)

So, readers: Use this.  Point out the hypocrisy in the positions.  If somebody insists this treats fellow human beings as forces of nature, like a disease, well, they're entirely right.  Anybody utilizing force - and thus negating the means of reason - is treating themselves like a force of nature, however, so feel free to point out that their statement has no relevancy.

No comments:

Post a Comment